Today I’m thankful for:
1. My wife of nearly 39 years and counting. She knows who she is.
2. My 3 children, who have allowed me to know the adults they’ve become.
3. My 2 grandsons, who are still learning life’s lessons and who they want to become.
4. My 2 dogs, who adore me no matter what I do or say, even when I shout at the TV.
5. My 2 sisters, even if we don’t see each other nearly enough.
6. My parents, who are no longer on this earth but who will always be missed.
7. My mother-in-law, who granted me permission to marry her daughter, who fortunately had already said yes, even if she did stand me up on our first date.
8. For my 41 years in sports journalism, spent at 8 newspapers in 3 states, including 25 years as a sports editor.
9. For the dozens of sports writers and copy editors I was blessed to hire, manage and watch advance in their careers.
10. For this new challenge of retirement life has given me before I was fully ready, but for which I’m grateful because it means I’ll never again have to give readers less than what they deserve in this age of corporate, cookie-cutter newspapers.
Your deadbeat blogger